23 Jan Treading water with just tactics
I know it seems like a lot of wordplay, but I can’t stress enough the need to pull your strategies out of…well, wherever you can. 🙂 Seriously most of us are probably trying tactical stuff as we think of it. If it works, we continue. If not, we discontinue. But without strategy that requires a real knowledge of your desired customer, we never really know why one thing works and another doesn’t. That is what makes marketing seem so “squishy”.
With tactics, whether it’s advertising in a new magazine because the rep won’t leave you alone, or sponsoring your first event, there’s an element of closing your eyes and making a wish. When you select tactics that fit into well thought-out strategies, you can feel confident that at least you’re in the ballpark.
In case you were wondering, here are MY strategies for 2012:
- Target B2B contracts in the healthcare and finance industries
- Maintain presence in publishing industry and with authors
- Grow online influence and become considered an expert on marketing/PR
- Grow my personal “voice” online rather than just give advice
- Increase influence among business community in Minneapolis and Denver
- Grow revenues and profitability of business without losing balance or creating too much stress.